Nursing pillow is a big part of breastfeeding success for many mamas. Here are the best organic nursing pillows for comfort and safety during breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is a learned process and doesn’t come naturally to many first-time mamas. In fact, you need to get as much help as you can when trying to establish a breastfeeding relationship with your baby.
A nursing pillow is one of the essential items, in addition to breastfeeding education, for breastfeeding success for first-time mamas.
Nursing pillows provide much-needed support to your baby, bring them closer to your breast, and support your posture (so less back pain) while breastfeeding so you can comfortably feed your baby.
And because your newborn will spend many hours on a breastfeeding pillow, you need to make sure that you choose good quality, non-toxic, organic nursing pillow.
Most of the conventional nursing pillows available in the market are stuffed with synthetic fiber you want to avoid as your baby will come in direct contact with the nursing pillow while breastfeeding. You also need to be careful with brands that label their product as “organic,” even when the only outer cover of the nursing pillow is organic.
In this article, we have carefully selected the 6 best organic nursing pillows for your comfort and safety, plus tips on what to avoid when choosing the best organic nursing pillow.
- Are Breastfeeding Pillows Worth it?
- Benefits of Nursing Pillow
- 6 Best Organic Nursing Pillow for your Breastfeeding Success
- 1. Holy Lamb Organic Bo Beep Nursing Pillow
- 2. Organic Nursing Pillow by HomeOfWool
- 3. The Nesting Pillow by Blessed Nest
- 4. Organic Caboose Cotton Nursing Pillow
- 5. Organic Nursing Pillow by MILDUKU
- 6. Nook Sleep Niche Organic Nursing Pillow
- What to avoid in a Non-toxic Nursing Pillow?
- How to choose the best non-toxic, organic Nursing Pillow?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate and amazon associate, I earn commission on qualified purchases at no extra cost to you.
Are Breastfeeding Pillows Worth it?
The breastfeeding pillows are the most used item during the first few months of breastfeeding. It helps bring the baby closer to the breast when you learn how to breastfeed in the first few days.
A nursing pillow also helps support the mother’s back and arm once the baby is latched on. In the first few weeks of breastfeeding, each session lasts between 30-45 mins and having a good nursing pillow provides you with proper body support for comfortably feeding your baby.
And once your baby starts rolling over, you can use a nursing pillow for tummy time or propping your baby for bottle feeding.
So, if your budget allows, I highly recommend getting a non-toxic, organic nursing pillow. It is super helpful when you are first establishing breastfeeding in the first few weeks and beyond.
Benefits of Nursing Pillow
- It saves your neck, back, and shoulder during those long hours of breastfeeding 10-12 times a day. The nursing pillow ensures that the baby is at the right height for your breast, so your shoulder doesn’t have to lean. It supports the baby, and your back to your neck and shoulder can relax while breastfeeding.
- A nursing pillow is your best friend if you are recovering from a c-section. It acts as a buffer between your abdomen and your baby.
- A nursing pillow helps your baby with latch. It brings babies closer to your breast so babies learning to latch can be supported and comfortable.
- It can also provide support to your back and neck even when you are bottle feeding. Bottle feeding is equally challenging as breastfeeding.
- You can use a breastfeeding pillow beyond breastfeeding. For example, you can use it for tummy time once your baby can control their head or prop your baby for bottle feeding when they are older.
6 Best Organic Nursing Pillow for your Breastfeeding Success
A nursing pillow is your best friend when you establish breastfeeding in the first few months. Here are the best non-toxic, organic nursing pillow for comfort and safety.
1. Holy Lamb Organic Bo Beep Nursing Pillow
My number one choice for a non-toxic, organic nursing pillow is Holy Lamb Organic Bo Beep Nursing Pillow. Holy Lamb is an eco-conscious company, and its products are made of 100% certified organic cotton or premium Eco- wool.
The Holy Lamb Organic Bo Beep Nursing pillow is C-shape and comes in your choice of certified organic cotton or Eco-wool filled. The eco-wool option is best for a nursing pillow as it is thermo-regulator and naturally dust mite/mold resistant.
This wool nursing pillow is your non-toxic alternative to Boppy nursing pillow. The Holy Lamb nursing pillow is lightweight yet firm and supports a baby and your back, neck, and shoulder while breastfeeding. This pillow has a zipper so you can see the wool batting or organic cotton filling.
The pillow itself is wiped clean and does not come with a cover. You will need to purchase a certified organic cover from Holy Lamb or use an organic Boppy pillow cover.
- Measures – 19.5 x 16.1 x 7 inches
- Weight – 2.35 pounds
- Made in the USA
- 100% certified organic cotton or premium Eco-wool fill
- C-shape, non-toxic alternative to Boppy
- Wipe clean only
- It does not come with a cover (certified organic cover is available to purchase)
2. Organic Nursing Pillow by HomeOfWool
If you like to support small business owners just like me, then this 100% organic nursing pillow is for you.
This handmade Bulgaria nursing pillow is made of GOTS and Oeko-Tex certified materials. The pillow is filled with 100% GOTS certified loose wool. The wood filling is excellent in nursing pillows as it is naturally flame retardant, thermoregulator, and mold/dust mite resistant.
The nursing pillow comes with a 100% GOTS certified organic cotton zip-off cover which is easy to remove and machine washable.
The nursing pillow from HomeOfWool is genuinely organic and made without any chemicals and synthetics, so it is suitable for babies and people with chemical sensitivity.
The best part of a nursing pillow from this business owner is that you can fully customize your organic nursing pillow based on your needs.
- Measures– 20 x 16 x 5.5 inches
- Weight- Approximately 3.6 pounds
- Made in Europe
- 100% GOTS and Okeo-Tex certified materials
- Filled with 100% GOTS certified organic wool
- Comes with 100% GOTS certified zippered cotton cover
- Shipping may take a while, so order well in advance
3. The Nesting Pillow by Blessed Nest
Another excellent option for an organic nursing pillow is this buckwheat-filled Nesting Pillow by Blessed Nest.
This nursing pillow is handmade in the USA using certified organic fabrics and filled with USA-grown organic buckwheat hulls.
The outstanding property of the buckwheat hull is that you can shift the contents like a bean bag to find the best position for the latch and hold that position. As a result, the Nesting Pillow is breathable and keeps baby and mom cool while breastfeeding owing to its movable buckwheat filling.
And because of its re-positioning ability, it can be used as an organic pregnancy pillow.
This crescent-shaped nursing pillow comes with a machine-washable pillow cover, and the pillow itself can be spot cleaned or heat sanitized in your dryer.
In addition to being the best organic nursing pillow, it can be used for tummy time, propping your baby, and can be used to hold books and laptops once your baby is older.
While this nursing pillow is heavier than other pillows in this list, some mothers found the pillow’s weight comforting for postpartum cramps while breastfeeding.
- Measures -26 x16 x5 inches
- Weight – around 5-6 pounds
- Made in the USA
- GOTS certified organic fabric and organic buckwheat filling
- Thermoregulator and hypoallergenic
- Comes with a machine washable cover
- Versatile and re-positioning ability for your comfort
4. Organic Caboose Cotton Nursing Pillow
Organic Caboose Cotton nursing pillow is made of 100% organic cotton inside and out. The pillow is hand-stuffed with 100% organic cotton batting, and you have a choice of organic cotton cover or blend of organic cotton and bamboo.
The unique design of this nursing pillow makes breastfeeding comfortable for you and your baby. In addition, the ergonomic design of this organic nursing pillow makes it suitable to use during pregnancy and beyond breastfeeding.
You can use this pillow to feed, prop, and support your baby as he starts rolling over.
- Measures -25 x 16 x 6 inches
- Weight – 2 pounds
- Made of GOTS certified cotton batting
- GOTS certified cotton cover
- The ergonomical desing great for breastfeeding and beyond
- Cover is available to purcahse seperately
5. Organic Nursing Pillow by MILDUKU
The organic nursing pillow by Milduku is made from eco-friendly materials. The pillow is filled with organic buckwheat hulls ethically grown in Europe.
The buckwheat filling provides comfortable positioning for nursing and relaxation. And because you can re-position buckwheat hulls, it provides optimal support for latching and adapts to the movements of your child. It also keeps your baby and you cool while breastfeeding.
In addition, the ergonomic shape of this nursing pillow makes it great for use during pregnancy.
This nursing pillow comes with zippered, 100% OEKO-TEX certified pre-washed linen cover. The out cover is removable and machine washable.
- Measures – 190 cm x 38 cm
- Weight – ?
- Made in Europe
- Organic buckwheat filling
- 100% OEKO-TEX certified pre-washed linen cover
- Thermoregulator and hypoallergenic
- Comes with a machine washable cover
- Organic Buckwheat filling is not certified organic
6. Nook Sleep Niche Organic Nursing Pillow
The Nook Sleep Niche Organic nursing pillow is made in the USA and available in organic Kapok or GOTS certified cotton fill.
The long U-shape of this nursing pillow provides much-needed support to your back and baby so you can comfortably feed your baby. It is also thick enough to bring the baby closer to your breast, so your shoulder or neck doesn’t have to work while breastfeeding.
And because this pillow is U-shaped, it can be great for feeding twins in a football hold position. Another good feature of this organic nursing pillow is that it is very lightweight, so you can carry it around within the house or while traveling.
The Nook Sleep Niche Nursing pillow cover is made of organic cotton and a non-toxic poly blend. I will have liked this pillow better if the cover is 100% certified organic cotton. But suppose you decide to go for this organic nursing pillow, you choose between Nook’s signature Pebble cover or the breathable Dimple cover. Both choices are removable and machine washable.
- Measures- 20 x 20 x 6 inches
- Weight – 4 pounds
- Made in the US
- GOTS certified organic cotton fill or Kapok fill
- U-Shape provides better support to your body
- Available in different colors to match your nursery decor
- Removable and washable cover
- The cover is organic cotton and poly blend
- Some consumers complained about it getting flattened over time.
What to avoid in a Non-toxic Nursing Pillow?
Most of the conventional nursing pillows are filled with synthetic/poly-fiber or polyurethane foam. And because your baby will come in direct contact with a nursing pillow while breastfeeding, you want to avoid a pillow that emits volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Here are materials you need to avoid in a non-toxic, organic nursing pillow.
A nursing pillow filled with poly-fiber is made of petroleum products. And while manufacturing polyester fiber, various chemicals are added to turn them into desired features like waterproof, anti-wrinkle, antibacterial, anti-shrinkage, and more.
And when the baby lies on a nursing pillow while breastfeeding, the body heat and friction between the pillow material release the harmful chemicals into the air that the baby inhales or gets absorbed through the skin.
In addition, most of the polyester textiles are made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which contains a carcinogenic substance called antimony. It is known to be toxic for the heart, lungs, and skin. And because the baby’s organs are still developing, it is best to avoid polyester-filled nursing pillows.
Polyurethane foam is a petroleum-based product used as a filling in the nursing pillows, pregnancy pillows, and most furniture, including sofa and cushions.
The main ingredient of polyurethane foam is diisocyanates, which is considered a human carcinogen. Also, polyurethane foam emits the highest level of VOCs compared to other types of synthetic material.
You might think that non-organic cotton is better than other synthetic materials. Still, in reality, non-organic cotton consumes almost 16% of the world’s production of pesticides and 7% of insecticides while growing.
So, it is better to avoid non-organic cotton in clothes and nursing pillows because it comes in direct contact with the baby’s delicate skin.
How to choose the best non-toxic, organic Nursing Pillow?
There are several things you need to keep in mind while choosing the best non-toxic, organic nursing pillow.
The breastfeeding pillows are available in different shapes and sizes. Some nursing pillows are C-shape, crescent shape, or wrap-around. The wrap-around pillow is best for supporting both moms and babies. It provides much-needed support to your back for those long hours of breastfeeding. A C-shape pillow or crescent shape pillow provides support to the baby’s head.
You want a nursing pillow that is firm enough to hold your baby’s weight and not too firm that it can’t mold to the shape of your body.
Is it washable?
You will have lots of spit-ups or breastmilk on your nursing pillow, so you want to make sure your nursing pillow is washable or easy to clean. Look for a nursing pillow with a removable and washable cover, at least if you can not wash the nursing pillow itself.
You want to look for a nursing pillow that is not only organic but also certified by GOTS. GOTS certification ensures that cotton is grown without pesticides/insecticides and does not contain hazardous chemicals during the manufacturing process. Also, make sure that the nursing pillow cover is also organic, and GOTS certified.
Filling of Nursing Pillow
The best materials to have in your nursing pillow are
GOTS certified organic cotton
GOTS certified organic cotton is free from pesticides and does not contain hazardous chemicals during manufacturing.
Organic, certified wool
Organic wool is the best option as a fill for your nursing pillow. It is lightweight, naturally flame resistant, and mold/dust mite resistant. It also has thermoregulator properties that regulate body temperature so your baby will not be too cold or hot while breastfeeding.
Kapok is a plant fiber native to West Africa and Central America. It is also an excellent material for a nursing pillow because of its thermoregulator, hypoallergenic, lightweight properties.
Buckwheat is another option if you like the feel of the bean bag. Buckwheat hull filling is hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, breathable, and provides firm support. However, it does make little rustling noise when moved. But you get used to the noise once you start using a nursing pillow regularly.
Price is always a factor when choosing a nursing pillow or other baby essentials. Yes, organic nursing pillows are more expensive than conventional ones, but your baby’s health is more important than a price tag. And once you invest in an organic nursing pillow, you can use it beyond breastfeeding to prop your baby for bottle-feeding or tummy time when they are a little older, and you can always use it for your next pregnancy or pass it on to a family member.
I hope this article has helped you choose your best non-toxic, organic nursing pillow. Make sure to use a nursing pillow from day one while breastfeeding. It is a huge help when you are first getting used to breastfeeding. You can also take your breastfeeding pillow to the hospital to have a better idea of how to position your baby in the presence of a lactation consultant or a nurse. And before you go, if you haven’t yet thought about taking a breastfeeding class, it’s time to take it now. Breastfeeding success depends on your knowledge about the why and how’s of breastfeeding. Check out this affordable online breastfeeding class that will prepare you for breastfeeding in 90 minutes.
Do you know any other brands that make an organic nursing pillow? Leave your comment below.
Pin me for Later!
- Ho DX, Kim KH, Sohn JR, Oh YH, Ahn JW. Emission rates of volatile organic compounds released from newly produced household furniture products using a large-scale chamber testing method. ScientificWorldJournal. 2011;11:1597-1622. doi:10.1100/2011/650624
- Barker RH. Additives in fibers and fabrics. Environ Health Perspect. 1975;11:41-45. doi:10.1289/ehp.751141
You May Also Like
- 16 Best Non-Toxic Disposable Diapers for Babies
- 10 Best Non-Toxic Baby Play mats for worry-free playtime
- Best Non-Toxic Montessori Toys for Babies and Toddlers
- Are Solid headboard or Upholstered Cribs Safe?
- 6 Best Organic Nursing Pillows for Breastfeeding mamas
- 6 Best Non-Toxic Mattresses for Bed-Sharing with a Baby
- Naturepedic Crib Mattress Review: It is Worth the Money?
- 6 Safe Crib Alternatives for Smaller Spaces
- 7 Best Wooden Non-Toxic Baby Walker
- 7 Best Non-Toxic and Organic Crib Mattresses (+Tips to make them Affordable)