Keep your babies warm & cozy indoor and outdoor with one of these soft, cuddly organic blankets for babies.
The baby blankets are must-have items for a newborn. Whether you are indoor or on-the-go, blankets keep baby warm and cozy. There are varieties of blanket available for babies and it sometimes gets overwhelming to decide which one is good for your little one.
The reason why I opted for an organic blanket (or matter of fact any other products) for my babies is to protect their delicate skin. First of all, blankets are used all day long to keep newborn covered and it is constantly in contact with baby’s delicate skin. By using an organic blanket, you are protecting your baby’s skin from the harmful chemicals, insecticides, pesticides, or herbicides that gets used for production of blankets or any other clothes.
What is great about these organic blankets is that you can use them to keep your babies warm and covered indoor or outdoor, or can be used as a swaddling blanket.
Let’s look at some of my favorite organic blankets for babies.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate and amazon associate, I earn commission on qualified purchase at no extra cost to you.
- What kind of Blankets do Babies Need?
- 10 Best Organic Blankets for Babies
- 1. MakeMake Organics Organic Cotton Swaddle Blanket & Top Knot Hat
- 2. Snuggle Me Swaddle Organic Cotton Swaddle Blanket
- 3. Aden + Anais Organic Swaddle Baby Blanket
- 4. Touched by Nature 100% Organic Cotton Blankets
- 5. Burt’s Bees Baby 100% Organic Muslin Cotton Swaddle
- 6. Happiest Baby Sleepea Baby Swaddle Blanket
- 7. PARADE Everything Organic Baby Blanket
- 8. Clover & Sage Organic Muslin Baby Toddler Blanket
- 9. ADDISON BELLE 100% Organic Muslin Everything Blanket
- 10. Cambria Baby Organic Cotton Baby Quilt
- What to look for in a Baby Blanket?
- At What Age Can a Baby Have a Blanket?
- How do I keep my Baby Warm at Night without A Blanket?
- What is a good Baby Blanket size?
- Organic Baby Blankets for Babies: Conclusion
Pin me for later!
What kind of Blankets do Babies Need?
There are four kinds of baby blankets available to purchase. When you are buying a blanket for your baby or buying as a gift for someone, it is important to consider the unique needs of the baby. Because the size, shape, fabric, and function of each blanket are different.
Receiving blankets are the most used and versatile type of baby blanket. Receiving blankets are a simple square piece of cloth and serve many purposes. It can be used to swaddle a baby, or to lay baby down on the floor, or to catch baby spit-up or to cover a baby when you are a doctor’s office, or can be used nursing cover when you are breastfeeding a baby.
Wearable Swaddling Blanket
A Swaddling blanket is a type of bodysuit that keeps newborns bundled up to make them feel comfortable as they are in the mother’s womb and promote sleep. A swaddling blanket comes with attachments to wrap a baby to make your life easy. The great feature of some of the swaddling blankets is that it remains wrapped at the upper part of the baby’s body when you are changing a diaper so keeps your baby warm during those midnight diaper changes.
For all the new mothers of a newborn, if your newborn is not sleeping well at night, swaddling them in a swaddling blanket can make a huge improvement in their overall sleep.
Wearable Blanket or Sleep Sacks
Wearable blanket or sleep sacks are bodysuit made from a thick material and has holes for the arm and head, and it zips up and down for easy access for a nighttime diaper change. They are used when your baby is ready to transition from swaddling blanket, which is around 3-4 months.
It is also known as a sleeping bag and it keeps the baby warm and avoids the risk of SIDS due to loosening the blanket in the crib. Once your baby is out of the swaddle, the wearable blanket is the safest way to keep your baby at a comfortable temperature at night without worrying about overheating them.
A security blanket is nothing but a comfort object that is used to provide psychological comfort to a toddler at bedtime. They are typically made of soft plush or fleece and sometimes have a stuffed animal attached to it.
Introducing a security blanket is the first step toward sleep training your baby, but you should avoid giving baby a security blanket to sleep until your baby has turned one.
With the wide range of baby blanket available, make sure to choose an age-appropriate blanket. Before you choose a blanket for your baby, it is important to note that sleeping babies under one should not be given a blanket in their bassinet or crib.
10 Best Organic Blankets for Babies
1. MakeMake Organics Organic Cotton Swaddle Blanket & Top Knot Hat
MakeMake organics is my first choice for the safest and non-toxic organic cotton blanket. This extra stretchy organic swaddle blanket with adorable, adjustable knotted hat will keep your baby warm and comfortable.
The Swaddle blanket is made from a GOTS certified organic cotton that is also Okeo-Tex certified meaning that it is free from toxic-chemical irritants,.
MakeMake Organic swaddle blanket is responsibly made in GOTS certified company in India and measures 40 x 40 inches perfect for newborns and toddlers. This lightweight cotton knit material with modern print is great for swaddling your baby at night or use is as stroller cover or playtime blanket. The swaddling blanket and hat is available if different pattern.
If you prefer a muslin blanket over a swaddle blanket, check out this Organic cotton muslin blanket.
- GOTS certified 100% organic cotton
- Premium Stretchy Fabric
- Super sized 40″x40″
- Super soft swaddle blanket
- Blanket is bound with Interlock Trim
- Comes with adjustable top knot hat
- Azo free, non-toxic, eco-friendly dyes
- Machine washable but requires mild detergent to keep its softness
2. Snuggle Me Swaddle Organic Cotton Swaddle Blanket
Snuggle Me Swaddles are made from 100% GOTS certified organic cotton and are incredibly soft and cozy for your little one’s sensitive skin.
This blanket is super lightweight making it perfect for summer months and also great for layering in the winter months.
Snuggle Me Swaddle blanket is 47 x 47 inches, multifunctional blanket used for newborn to toddler years. You can use this blanket to swaddle your baby for naps and bedtime or use it as a travel blanket or use it as a breastfeeding cover. Also, this blanket is super stretchy, making it perfect for wrapping those wiggly babies.
Also, you don’t need to worry about the quality of the product as it is made in the USA in small batches with the highest quality standard. As a peace of mind, this product comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This blanket is soft yet not too soft that it loses its firmness while swaddling your baby. They are available in beautiful earth tone water-based colors that are free from animal or plant bi-products.
- Made from GOTS certified organic cotton- great for your baby’s skin and environment
- Multipurpose use from swaddling to traveling blanket to nursing cover to creative play
- Can be used from newborn to toddler years
- Generously sized at 47 x 47 inches
- Variety of earth tone color to choose from
- Very soft, cuddly, and stretchy material
- Machine washable
- Machine washable but can’t dry it in the dryer.
3. Aden + Anais Organic Swaddle Baby Blanket
We can’t imagine the best organic blankets for babies list without Aden + Anais organic swaddle blanket. Made from 100% GOTS certified organic cotton muslin, it is perfect for swaddling infants and beyond.
This muslin square blanket is breathable, soft and helps keep baby comfortable when swaddled.
Aden + Anais swaddle blanket is 47 x 47 inches and comes as a pack of three. You also have a choice of selecting one that you like from a variety of prints and colors available for a girl and boy or unisex.
This multipurpose blanket can be used as a swaddling blanket, as a barrier for tummy time or diaper change, as a nursing cover, as a burp cloth, as a changing table cover, or as a stroller cover.
- 100% GOTS certified organic cotton muslin swaddle
- Generously sized at 47” x 47”
- Multipurpose use
- Machine washable
- Retains its softness after multiple washes
- Variety of prints and colors to choose from
4. Touched by Nature 100% Organic Cotton Blankets
Touched by Nature baby blankets are made with high quality 100% organic cotton.
If you are looking for an affordable baby blanket, then this one is for you! Budget-friendly yet great quality!!
This blanket is 40 x 40 inches and comes in 16 cute patterns and colors.
Unlike other expensive brands, this affordable soft organic baby blanket can also be used for swaddling, tummy time, as a nursing cover, as a stroller blanket.
- 100% organic cotton baby blanket
- Available in 16 different patterns and colors
- Machine washable
- Few moms warn that don’t try to rip the tag off, you will make a hole in the blanket. Use scissors instead! (Isn’t that’s what you are supposed to do!)
5. Burt’s Bees Baby 100% Organic Muslin Cotton Swaddle
One of my go-to brands for baby stuff is Burt’s Bees organic clothing line. The quality of Burt’s Bees product is top-notch.
These baby blankets are made from a GOTS certified 100% organic muslin cotton and comes as a set of three.
I love Burt’s Bees organic baby blankets because they are super soft, gentle on baby’s delicate skin and despite being super soft, it holds well after endless washes.
This blanket measures at 47 x 47 inches, a perfect size blanket for swaddling, to be used as a burp cloth, nursing cover, stroller cover and other uses. It is a single-ply lightweight blanket meant to be used in summer.
If you are looking for little heavy blanket then Burt’s Bees reversible organic blanket is great choice. This versatile, soft quilt measures 30 x 40 inches.
- 100 % organic muslin cotton
- GOTS certified
- Comes as a set of 3
- Super soft for baby’s sensitive skin
- Some moms find this blanket very thin
6. Happiest Baby Sleepea Baby Swaddle Blanket
If you want to take the stress out of swaddling, then Happiest Baby Sleepea Baby swaddle blanket is for you! With this swaddle blanket, your baby is ready for bed in 5 seconds!
Designed by Dr. Harvey Karp, this #1 rated baby swaddle is made from 100% organic cotton. This swaddle mimics womb-like snug for your baby and boosts baby sleep quality.
This swaddle is superior compared to other ready to use swaddle (halo sleepsack and other) available in the market. It includes extra quite Velcro and 2-way zipper for an easy diaper change at night. Simply put, it is the easiest, fastest, escape-proof baby swaddles that literally swaddles in 5 seconds.
Happiest Baby Sleepea baby blanket has breathable mesh at shoulder and waist to reduce overheating and comes with an arm opening that can be easily unsnapped to allow for arms out when your baby is ready for it.
These swaddle blankets are available in 3 sizes and most moms say it is true to the size.
Small: 5 – 12 lbs (approx -51cm)
Medium: 12 – 18 lbs (approx – 56cm)
Large: 18-26 lbs (approx-61cm)
- #1 rated Baby sleep sack in America
- 100% organic cotton made
- Escape-proof security swaddle with quite Velcro and 2-way zipper
- Gives baby a womb-like snug- boost baby’s sleep quality
- Breathable mesh at shoulder and waist
- Machine washable
- Few moms noted that when their baby wiggles in this sleep sack, the inner security band can move up to their neck
7. PARADE Everything Organic Baby Blanket
PARADE Everything Organic is another great, very affordable baby blanket on this list.
It is made from sustainably sourced, 100% GOTS certified organic cotton and is available in 22 different hand-printed patterns.
This chemical and pesticide-free baby blankets are safe for the baby’s delicate and sensitive skin.
Parade’s blankets measure 40 x 40 inches and are lightweight, single-layer cotton with a bit of stretch for swaddling your baby.
This soft baby blanket can be used at home, in car and strollers, for travel, as a nursing cover.
- 100% GOTS certified organic cotton
- Generously sized – 40 x 40 inches
- Available in 22 hand-printed patterns
- Machine washable
- Few moms note that the color varies from what you might see in the photos
8. Clover & Sage Organic Muslin Baby Toddler Blanket
If you are looking for a little thicker blanket for your baby, then look no further! Clover & Sage organic Muslin baby toddler blankets are four times thicker than regular baby blankets.
This baby blanket is made of 100% organic muslin cotton and provides four soothing layers of the muslin cotton, which is great for keeping your baby warm in cold weather.
This ultra-soft, durable organic muslin cotton blanket is designed with breathability in mind, so despite the 4 layers of blanket, your baby won’t get too hot when swaddled.
The unique feature of muslin fiber is that it relaxes after each wash so this organic baby blanket will only get softer after each wash, unlike other brands that lose its softness after a couple of washes. Also, it comes pre-washed, so you don’t need to worry about it shrinking after the first wash.
The size of this baby blanket is 47×47 inches, making it suitable to be used even when your baby is grown.
This durable blanket is highly versatile and is great for tummy time, swaddling, traveling, stroller and car seat use, a nursing cover, or as a throw blanket.
- 100% organic 4-ply muslin blanket
- Generously sized 47 x 47
- Durable keeps its softness after multiple washes
- Comes pre-washed
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Cold wash only and low heat dry
9. ADDISON BELLE 100% Organic Muslin Everything Blanket
Whether you are buying for your baby or looking to give as a gift, this unique pattern muslin blanket is what you need to pamper your loved one!
ADDISON BELLE Everything Blanket is made from 100% GOTS certified organic muslin and finished with non-toxic reactive dyes.
This blanket measures 47 x 47 inches and is the largest organic baby blanket on this list. The larger design makes it a versatile choice compared to another organic baby/toddler blanket in the market.
It is made of 4 layers of organic cotton muslin and feels super soft, lightweight, and cuddly. Also, you can wash it as many times as you like because the more you wash it, the softer it will get.
Another great feature of this organic baby blanket is its signature waffle stitch weave, Along with breathable muslin cotton, it keeps babies cool in summer and warm in winter.
- 100% GOTS certified organic cotton muslin blanket
- Larger 4-ply blanket- measures 47 x 47 inches
- Lightweight, soft and versatile
- Available in 9 adorable patterns that you won’t’ find with any other brands
- Machine washable
- Prints are only on one side
10. Cambria Baby Organic Cotton Baby Quilt
Cambria Baby makes an amazing organic cotton baby quilt if you are looking for something warm for winter! It is made in India, where most of the world’s organic cotton is grown.
This baby blanket is made from 100% GOTS certified organic cotton and has thick thermal polyester fill to keep your little one cozy in winter. This reversible gender-neutral baby quilt comes in sage green color, attractive sky pattern on one side, and clouds on another side.
This organic versatile baby quilt measures 40×40 inches and perfect for sleep, tummy time, playtime indoor, or outdoor. And the generous size of this blanket makes a perfect crib blanket or toddler throw.
This organic baby quilt is pre-shrunk, safe for warm machine wash and tumble dry on low heat. Also, it keeps its shape well after multiple washes.
- 100% GOTS certified Organic cotton with polyester fill
- Generous size- 40 x 40
- Preshrunk, Machine washable
- Soft, lightweight, warm, and thick
- Low heat dry only
What to look for in a Baby Blanket?
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when you’re shopping for a baby blanket.
- Breathability. Babies can not self-regulate body temperature, so picking a breathable baby blanket is the most important factor to consider when shopping for a baby blanket. Organic baby blankets are made from cotton or bamboo. Cotton or bamboo is the most breathable fabric that encourages airflow and doesn’t trap sweat or heat.
- Materials. Newborns have sensitive skin, so you need to consider that the materials in your baby’s blanket should be at least chemical-free to minimize the risk of irritation. Also, you might need to consider purchasing thin and thick material baby blankets to use depending on the weather.
- Size and thickness. Baby blankets come in varieties of sizes ranging from single-ply receiving blanket to larger and thicker multipurpose blanket. You need different sizes and thicknesses for swaddling to tummy time.
- Safety. The baby blanket is going to come in direct contact with your baby’s skin. So you want to make sure that it does not contain any hanging ribbons, tassels, or buttons that could potentially fall off and create a choking hazard for your baby.
At What Age Can a Baby Have a Blanket?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), there is no official age that’s believed 100% safe to give a blanket to a baby. However, most medical experts feel that a loose blanket poses little danger in the crib to healthy babies over 1 year.
How do I keep my Baby Warm at Night without A Blanket?
As mentioned earlier, it is not advisable to give a blanket to the baby until he is 1 year old to avoid the risk of suffocation. To keep your newborn warm at night, the AAP recommends keeping the room temperature comfortable between 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and suggest swaddling your baby.
What your baby wears underneath the swaddle is based on the weather. If your nursery is warmer in the summertime, you can leave yours in just a diaper or a thin bodysuit. In moderate temperature (fall like weather), dress them in short sleeve bodysuit and pants. In winter, dress them in footie pajamas or layers to keep them warm.
Here are some of out favorite sleeper to dress baby at night.
- Burt’s Bees Baby Baby Organic Zip Sleeper, Newborn
- Under the Nile Unisex-Baby Newborn Stripe Footie
- L’ovedbaby Unisex-Baby Organic Cotton Gloved-Sleeve Footed Overall
- Lamaze Unisex-Baby Organic Footed Pajamas
Avoid dressing your baby in synthetic fleece pajamas, as they are made from polyester. It is easy to get too hot in polyester pajamas because the material is not breathable. Newborns can’t self-regulate their temperature so putting them in polyester fleece pajamas may increase the chances of overheating them.
Once your baby is ready to transition from swaddling blanket, put them in a wearable blanket with appropriate dressing underneath the sleep sack. Check out this post to know what kind of sleep sack is best for your baby to keep them warm at night.
What is a good Baby Blanket size?
Selecting the right size for baby blanket is important as you want them to be big enough for the baby to be covered well and use them for a couple of months. Also, you don’t want to buy too big that you can’t carry it to your next doctor’s appointment or traveling.
The dimension of the baby blanket depends on the usage. And you will surely need about half a dozen blankets, each for a specific purpose and use. Moreover, you will find a baby blanket in your laundry more often during the first 6 months of the baby’s life.
Here is a quick guide for selecting an appropriate blanket for your baby.
|Type of Blanket||Average Size|
|Swaddle Blanket||40″ x 40″ to 48″ x 48″|
|Receiving Blanket||18″ x 18″ to 36″ x 36″|
|Crib Blanket||36”x 54” to 45″ x 60″|
|Newborn Blanket||30″ x 30″|
|Preemie Baby Blanket||15” x 15” to 18″ x 18″|
|Large Preemie Baby Blanket||20” x 20” to 24″ x 24″|
Organic Baby Blankets for Babies: Conclusion
Here you go! You have 9 best organic baby blankets to choose from. I hope this list has helped you decide which one to get for your baby. When it comes to baby blankets, one is not enough. When I had my babies, I had a one-ply 3-4 swaddling blanket, 3 quilts, and 2 four plies receiving blanket.
Of course, when you are buying an organic product, it will cost you a little extra. But keep in mind that good quality lasts you longer! If you are planning to have multiple kids, they are a great investment. I have an organic baby blanket that I bought for my first baby and I used the same baby blanket for my second one 8 years later!!
Do remember, safe sleep practice is our priority. So, no loose blankets in baby’s bassinet or crib until they are 1 year old.
If your baby hates being swaddled, you can transition them into a wearable blanket or sleep sack to keep them warm at night.
I hope this article has helped you find the perfect organic baby blankets for babies. If you have any questions or comments, please leave it below. Lets us know which one ended up picking for your baby. Or share your favorite organic baby blanket brand.
Till then, Have a good night!
- Feature Image – Photo by Michal Bar Haim on Unsplash
- Image of Baby in brown blanket – Photo by Filip Kowalski on Unsplash
You may also like